ISM introduces students to effective use of learning technologies in kindergarten, and thoughtfully challenges them to increase their technology skills and outputs through eighth grade. By the time they graduate our students have used a variety of technology resources to inquire, research, analyze, conceptualize, plan, create, exchange, evaluate, and improve upon a variety of learning products including papers, projects, artwork, and multimedia.
Student Technology Use
Acceptable Use & ISM-Owned Devices
We ask that each student and family discuss and sign two agreements that serve as a baseline for appropriate student technology use at ISM. The first, our Student Acceptable Use Agreement, lays the foundation for responsible digital citizenship. The second, our ISM-Owned Technology Use Agreement, establishes expectations for using ISM-owned digital resources.
We provide Google Apps accounts for students in grades 5-8, and in lower grades at the homeroom teacher’s discretion. Students and parents must sign a Student Google Apps Account Agreement to use these accounts to create and exchange documents and build websites for learning purposes. We do not include email access in our student accounts in grades K-5 in order to limit the risks of having online accounts. We then activate email in grades 6-8 so that students can effectively interact with organizations and experts outside of ISM as they pursue advanced projects.
In 2016-2017 we launched a 1:1 Chromebook program for Middle Years Students. Each student receives an Asus Flip Chromebook at the start of grade 6 and uses that machine through grade 8. This ensures equal access to technology-based instruction for all students, and creates seamless use of that technology both at school and at home. If students don't have home internet access, they can work offline and then sync files upon return to the ISM campus. Upon graduation, students get to keep their machines. The 1:1 Technology FAQs provide detailed information about the program.
In developing our appreciable technology resources, we have followed these philosophical guidelines:
- Choose open source over proprietary.
- Determine desired functionality, then purchase accordingly.
- Spend on hardware. Get free software.
- Minimize maintenance burden.
- Choose devices that facilitate maximum security.
- Use hosted services rather than in-house servers.
- Consider leasing rather than owning.
- Purchase maintenance agreements (e.g. Apple Care) to minimize staffing burden.
- Provide for training with acquisition.
- Minimize total cost per unit.
- Minimize printing; maximize digital exchange.
To protect our investment in technology, all hardware devices are locked in secure, alarmed locations or taken home by staff members outside of school hours. All user accounts are password protected, and students and staff members receive training on effective password creation and account protection.
Current hardware resources for student use include:
- Google Chromebooks in rolling lab carts for K-5 student use
- Apple iPad minis for K-2 student use
- Apple iPad minis in rolling lab carts for K-8 student use
- Google Chromebooks for K-8 student use in the Library
- Water and shock proof digital still cameras and camcorders
Current hardware resources for staff use include:
- Apple MacBooks, one per staff member (with option of a Chromebook and iPad rather than a MacBook
- Ipevo document cameras, one per teacher
- Projectors in each classroom
- Sharp multifunction printer/copiers
We subscribe to the following hosted solutions:
- PowerSchool (student information system)
- Google Apps (documents, cloud backup, websites, email, calendar)
- Follett Destiny (library management)
- Charter Vision (financial reporting system)
- Aesop (substitute management system)
- HelpCounter (volunteer and visitor management)
- School Loop (web publication)
- ManageBac (curriculum, reporting, and student portfolio management)
- Vertical Response (email and social media marketing)
- txtwire (emergency notification and communication system)
We license the following solutions:
- MS Office Suite (site license for staff)
Last updated August 4, 2016 by director